Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wow! What a week!

We have had quite a week, well even past few weeks.  We are hoping we are on the road to recovery and we can relax, have some fun, and SLEEP.

About a week ago I noticed Reese becoming congested.  I watched for a fever and took his temperature quite often, but he never got one.  I assumed, like his mommy, daddy, and big brother, that he might be battling with allergies.  I kept an eye on him.  He was eating a bit less.  He was still smiley and happy though.  I asked Tracey what she thought and told her I was worried about him.  He was still congested and had a little bit of a cough.  When I went to pick him up last Wednesday Tracey agreed that he just didn't seem like himself.  By dinner time Wednesday we had called and talked to the Dr.  They gave us some "emergency sypmtoms" to watch for over night and made us an appointment for first thing Thursday morning.

Thursday morning was nasty, rainy out.  Dave was off so he headed to Missouri Baptist Hospital with BOTH boys.  Thank goodness for Aunt Katie.  Katie met Dave at the hospital and took Dane with her to work for a bit so Dave could concentrate on Reese at the Dr.  VERY GOOD IDEA!  Once the Dr saw Reese she ordered an RSV test, which was not enjoyable for the little guy.  Dave said that resulted in about a 5 minute screaming episode.  The RSV test came back positive.  The Dr. then wanted to do a breathing treatment on Reese.  They got the machine set up for Dave and Dave had to hold the mask on Reese during the treatment.  Another thing that he said was not at all enjoyable.  The breathing treatment did not work at all for the little guy.  He was so sick.  Once again the Dr. gave us some emergency symptoms to watch for.  RSV is awful because while it is so, so bad there is no medicine, besides over the counter medicine to get rid of it.  The Dr. gave us a list of "comfort meds" to use.  Poor Reese!

Anyone that teaches 3rd grade and up knows that this is the worst time of the year at school.  This is MAP Test time.  A high stress, crazy time of year.  I was staying up to date with all the happenings at the Dr's office via text messages (when I got to school Thursday I told my principal that Reese was sick and I needed to keep my phone on).  When I got the text that the RSV test was positive I was stressed.  I was worried about Reese.  I was also worried about the fact that he had to be out of daycare for one week.

Well you gotta do what you gotta do.  I got lots and lots of MAP review material ready for my class.  I stayed home on Friday and Monday.  Dave stayed home today and is staying home tomorrow and Thursday.

This illness has brought Reese sleepless nights and no appetite.  Here are a few pics of our days together.  I didn't take any pictures Friday and Saturday because those were Reese's worst days.  He was so, so sick and I was so, so exhausted.  By Sunday he was smiling and feeling much better.

I let Dane stay home Friday and Monday.  We had PJ day.  I immediately asked about Dane when they told us Reese had RSV.  First they said knowing Dane's history, he is generally pretty healthy, so they expected him to be fine.  They also said Dane is getting to the age where if he did get sick from Reese it would probably just be a slight cold and no where near what Reese had.  That was great news, because let me tell you it is not an easy task keeping this boy away from his baby brother.  He just loves him!

Reese is practicing sitting up.  I usually put him in front of me while I sit down, but Dane wanted to hold him
Reese practicing his new skill while playing the piano.
Dane wanted to join in.
Reese looks so big in this picture!
Dane may not be the BIG brother for long.
Cute brothers!
Dane loves to use his tools to "fix" my house. 
He was yelling at me in this picture because "it not fix yet!"
He finally said ok to letting me take a picture of him working hard.
One way I definitely knew this boy was sick was his eating.  Usually he will eat 8 oz of formula every 4 hours.  He got to the point that he was barely eating 3 oz.  He eats solids 2x a day right now and that didn't really seem to change much.  The biggest problem with that was usually in the middle of the feeding he would start coughing so much he would spit food all over me!

We are a VERY routine household.  We eat, bathe, sleep at the same time every day.  Reese was totally off schedule when he was sick.  It reminded me why I need a routine.  It seemed that both boys wanted to do different things that both needed my undivided attention at the EXACT SAME TIME ALL WEEKEND LONG.    Add that to a mom that was up all night with one baby and about 7:30 a.m. when he was too tired to fight his illness anymore and decided to go to sleep the two year old decided to get up and it is a bad combination.  Man, I was tired, tired, tired!!

By Monday afternoon things were looking up and this little man was starting to perk up!
Thank goodness we are now getting back on schedule here with happy, healthy boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment