Saturday, February 27, 2010

Getting So Big!

At Dane's 6 month appointment he weighed 19 lbs. We knew it would just be a matter of time until he outgrew his infant seat, which had a weight limit of 22 lbs. We have had the convertible carseat since mid-December. The carseat sat in the basement in the box just waiting to be used.

I was holding on to the infant seat for a couple of reasons.

  • My little guy still had a couple of pounds until he reached the weight limit and why rush it, he is still a baby.
  • The infant seat has this great fleece lined cover that stretches over the entire seat. It has a little hole for his head with a little cover that you can open up when in the car and just flip down real quick when you get out. It kept my little guy so warm.
  • Dane almost always falls asleep on the way home from daycare. Dave usually meets me in the garage and carries the seat upstairs where Dane will sleep for a bit longer.
  • I loved being able to have Dane in the infant seat when I went shopping or we went to dinner. It was so easy to just plop the infant seat onto the cart at stores and put it in the booth next to us at dinner. He could easily eat in it and drink his bottle while we ate.

Well lately when I would go to put Dane in the carseat he would try to sit up which made it very difficult to get him buckled in. He would also grab the handle with his hands and try to pull himself up. When I would put his little cover on I could see his feet poking the bottom of it, just trying to come out. Then my hip started hurting. I noticed a trend....a couple of snow days when we stayed home and no pain, Dave's days off when I didn't have to carry him into daycare and no pain, Monday and Tuesday when I carried the infant seat with Dane in it out to the car and into and out of daycare....major hip pain.

So I knew it was time.....I was still sad when Dave told me to come to the garage and see the new carseat he had put in my car.

I have to say he looks quite comfy.....but so big.


On Friday it was a new experience for us both as we headed to daycare. I usually can carry my purse, school bag, and his bottle bag on one arm and his infantseat in my other hand. Since I had to carry him, which I really needed two hands for, I made one trip to the car with all of our belongings. I came back and got him out of the exersaucer, found a jacket for him (which we never needed because he always had his cozy cover, and carried him to the car. I think I might have accidentally bumped his head on the ceiling of the car putting him in. He seemed to love it. He was looking all over the place. I guess he can see quite a bit more.

I will say that when Miss Sue met me at the door I think we both almost cried he looked so big being carried into daycare for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment