Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Fun Snow Day

Wednesday at school the kids were talking about the snow. As teachers we try to act like we aren't going to get much and that it isn't that big of a deal, but secretly we are usually hoping for snow just as much or maybe more than the kids. I always do my lesson plans for the next week on Wednesdays and I didn't even do them this Wednesday, because I just knew we would be off for snow later in the week and it would just mess everything up. I asked Dave to go to the grocery store on Wednesday afternoon and get good "snow day food". When I called to see what he got he said, "Stuff to make chili, some chicken, milk, and eggs." I ran through after school and picked up avocados for guacamole, chips, brownie mix, and frozen pizza.....good snow day food. I don't know why I was so excited about a snow day, I mean I did just have 16 days off!

The snow started falling in Ste. Genevieve about 5:30 or so and it was slow at first, but then started accumulating fast. In my 11 years at Ste Genevieve I have learned that it doesn't take much. Due to the area that our school district covers and the back roads the buses travel we are usually an early call. About 8:30 p.m. the call came, No School On Thursday!!

the beautiful scene from our front door

In our new neighborhood in Ste Gen there are several boys right about the same age. Colton, a year old, Aiden, 8 months old, Tyler 2 1/2 years old, and then Dane 6 months old. I am sure there will be lots of fun times as they grow up. Aiden and Tyler's mom, Vicki, is off work on Thursdays and stays home with her boys. Dave got the driveway cleared and around 11:00 drove Dane and I down the street to Troy and Vicki's house for a play day with Vicki and the boys. It worked out great because Troy was plowing in St. Louis and Dave was working on a plumbing issue in the house, plus he needed to rest because he was working Thursday night.

It was a great day! It was so fun to watch the boys play together. Tyler entertained Dane and Dane watched Aiden, who is just two months older, and seemed to be thinking, how can I do what he is doing? The Deters also have a TON of toys and it was neat to watch Dane play with different things. Vicki and I just hung out watching the boys playing and talking.

The Three Boys

Tyler and Dane
Tyler is such a great big brother to Aiden. He entertains the little boys very well. Dane loved playing with him.
It was funny because we planned for this to be an afternoon playdate. Dane and I got there at 11:00, we had pizza for lunch, the boys took naps (well sort of catnaps), then when Troy called Vicki and said he would be up in St. Louis for another night of plowing we called Dave and told him to come on down and we would all have dinner together. We got home about 7:00 p.m., right in time to give Dane a bath and put him to bed.
It is so nice to have such good friends close by. I am hoping Vicki continues her schedule of Thursdays off during the summer. With the pool and park in the neighborhood it will be fun to have someone to hangout with, plus the boys will be a fun age next summer and I think it will only get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment