Friday, January 29, 2010

A Snow Day Without Snow

Yesterday as I was waiting with my class for the 3:00 bell to ring one of my students said, "We don't have school tomorrow, do we?" I said, "Yes, why wouldn't we." He said, "It is supposed to snow." Well trying to hide my real feelings about possibly getting a snow day and a three day weekend I said, "Oh it isn't supposed to snow very much. I am sure we will be here."

I knew the snow wasn't supposed to start until the early morning hours. Ste. Gen loves to call school the night before, but in this situation that would not be possible. Therefore, I worked really hard to keep telling myself that I WAS going to school today. Last night I found myself lingering on facebook and watching a DVRed Dr. Phil. It was a lot later than usual when I finally went to iron Dane's and my clothes for Friday. I got bottles made up for the sitter and wrote out her check for the week. I climbed into bed thinking wow, I am going to be tired tomorrow. Thank goodness it is Friday.

I woke up at 4:45 AM and came out to the dining room to check out the snow fall. There was NOTHING. Not one flake in the sky. I WAS TIRED. I got back in bed to get as much sleep as possible in the next 45 minutes. I couldn't fall asleep. I looked at the clock for the last time at 5:13, thinking I have about 15 minutes until I have to get up. Well I dozed off......and then the phone rang. It was 5:20 and I answered it to hear a recorded message from the Assistant Superintendent. Ste Gen Schools will not be in session today. I couldn't believe it. I hung up the phone, but couldn't go back to sleep. I checked outside and I THINK I may have seen a flake or two. I came back to bed and turned on Channel 5 News. Sure enough, I wasn't dreaming. There it was, Ste Gen Schools-Closed.

Dane woke up as happy as can be. I told him I had a snow day and got to stay home with him all day. I seriously think he got a little happier after I said that! We had a great day! We played, ate breakfast, then snuggled in the oversized chair for a morning nap.

Dane, Max, and I all snuggled together for a morning nap!
Dane played in his exersaucer while I got ALL of the laundry done.
I watched Channel 5 and they kept saying, "Snow is coming." The 3-5 inch strip went right through Ste. Gen. I kept looking out the window. There was nothing. Finally about 4:00 I looked out and if I looked the right way I could see some flakes starting to fall.
12 hours later and the snow is here!
Oh well, I totally enjoyed my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment