Tuesday, November 17, 2009

So Sad to See a Sick Baby

Today was probably the first day since July 21, 2009 that I have not taken a picture of Dane.

The poor guy is sick.

Saturday night he did not sleep well at all. I was thinking it was because we hadn't stayed at Mama and Papa's house in two weeks and maybe he wasn't used to it or maybe he was so excited about being baptized on Sunday that he couldn't sleep :) Sunday night he was restless again.

When I dropped him off at Sue's on Monday morning I told her he had been restless and we talked about everyone at daycare having the sniffles and a cough. I knew he was congested because I could hear him breathing on the monitor in the middle of the night. I thought maybe that was making him uncomfortable when trying to sleep. It hadn't seemed to be bothering him during the day so I didn't think it was too bad. At lunch I called Sue to check on Dane. She said he did seem restless and just didn't seem like himself. I thought maybe the congestion was getting to him so I called the doctor to see if there was something I could give him. I was actually very glad when they asked if I could bring him in to be checked out. Even though it is hunting week and Dave took off all week to hunt he said he would take Dane to the dr Tuesday morning, then if he is just congested, but ok, he will drop him off at Sue's after the appointment and go to the woods then. So that was the plan.

I picked him up Monday afternoon and he did seem a little out of it. He fell asleep on the way home and slept until his 6:00 bottle. He didn't eat well at all, which is not normal for him. Dave was holding him and said, "Let's take his temp just to see what it is." Sue, Dave, and I had all felt him and did not think he felt warm. His cheeks were actually cool. We took his temperature and it kept going up and up. It finally stopped at 102. Dave told me to get ready so we could take him to the ER. It was exactly 7:00 and our dr is open until 7:00, so I called, unfortunately they were closed already. We were getting ready to go to the ER when I finally focused enough to remember that our dr has an after hours number. I called and it turned out that our dr was the one on call. She called us back in less than 5 minutes. I told her our symptoms and she said it sounded like an ear infection. She told us to give him Tylenol and to come see her first thing this morning. She was so nice she gave me her direct pager number so I didn't have to call the exchange again if I needed her.

I think I slept about an hour last night. I held him and rocked him for quite a while several times during the night. When I wasn't doing that I was watching him on the video monitor.

First thing this morning Dave, Dane, and I headed to Dr. Andersen's office. She checked his ears and sure enough she said he had a massive double ear infection. She actually said he was doing really well for as bad as they looked. He smiled at her and was so calm in her office. She gave him an antibiotic and we were on our way.

He does seem a little happier tonight, but still not 100% Dane. We already had his 4 month appointment scheduled for Friday so she said she will check his ears again then to see how they are looking.

I am so glad that I have never been wasteful with my leave days at work. I have only called in one sick day in the 11 years I have been at Ste. Gen. I have taken very few personal days. When Dane was sick last night I didn't think twice about having to call in.

I hope my little buddy is feeling better when he wakes up tomorrow. I never thought it would be so hard to see my baby not feeling well.

No comments:

Post a Comment